We don’t even need to pretend like you don’t know about my families addiction with Hot Cocoa. Even as Florida Natives hot chocolate has been a part of our daily lives. It’s just so good and siping something warm and sweet. Especially while sitting out by our fire pit has always been the best moments ever. We’ve been making our own hot chocolate for years and started with a white chocolate version and it is seriously the best thing I’ve ever created besides my children. I’ll link to all my hot chocolate recipes at the bottom of this post so keep an eye out.
Today I’m sharing with you a cookie version and it is seriously so good. It’s a melt in your mouth and in your hands recipe that you won’t regret making and will probably devour the entire batch in one day. Serve these with a glass of milk or hot cocoa and you’ll be in heaven.
For this recipe you can use premade packets of hot cocoa or use my homemade version. Both turn out delicious! I personally like to use the premade packets so they also have those teeny tiny marshmallows mixed into the cookie too. You can buy just the tiny marshmallows if you want but I have yet to find them in any of our stores near us. So for now I’ll keep using the premade packs.
If you have the teeny hot cocoa marshmallows you can omit the mini marshmallows but they are one of our favorite parts. They melt just right and get gooey and then harden as the cookies cool. So it’s like an extra special treat. When using the mini marshmallows you’ll definitely want to freeze them before hand so that they don’t melt as fast and become a glob in the oven. Which also isn’t bad but I like to have a little extra control over them melting.
Now let’s get the recipe you cake here for…. a melt in your mouth hot chocolate cookie recipe made from scratch.
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 pkgs hot cocoa mix (or 3/4 cup of my homemade version)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows (freeze about 30 mins prior to mixing)
- Mix softened butter, sugar and brown sugar in a bowl. DO NOT OVER MIX! Add in the egg and vanilla. Mix until fluffy and blended.
- In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet butter/sugar mixture.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and frozen marshmallows. (freezing the mini marshmallows helps them not melt as fast)
- Place mixture in the fridge and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- When the oven is preheated roll up balls of the cookie dough and place 2 inches apart on a parchment lined cookie sheet. The marshmallows will get messy. (don’t worry about perfect round balls, you just want the chips and marshmallows to stick to the dough)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges start to brown. Don’t over cook.
- Remove and let cool on cookie sheet for about 10 minutes. You want the marshmallows to settle before you transfer to a cooking rack.
- Enjoy with a glass of milk or hot cocoa.
If you want to make this holiday restive then go ahead and add some colored sprinkles for fun. Or use colored mini marshmallows. Make it your own and have fun. I’m going to be sharing a version that’s similar but will be a s’mores version so keep an eye out for that coming soon.
If you’d like to check out my other hot cocoa recipes…
- White chocolate hot cocoa
- Eggnog hot cocoa
- Salted caramel hot cocoa
- Peanut butter hot cocoa
- Classic hot cocoa
- Keto hot chocolate
- Strawberry hot cocoa
I told you hot cocoa is kinda out thing over here. I’m going to also be sharing some yummy hot cocoa pancakes soon too. Because why not! Waffles? Muffins? You can bet I’m going to be trying them all out and sharing once I get the perfection spot on!
Until next time, live a life you love.
Some of my friends are sharing some super delicious desserts and you should definitely go check them out below!